Like all medical interventions, gastric balloon procedure has its own risks as well. However, they are very rare, hence it’s still considered safer than the more invasive and expensive bariatric surgery (Gastric bypass and sleeve). It’s widely believed that the risks associated with overweight and obesity are higher than the very rare risks associated with this procedure. And to put the gastric balloon device in perspective, most studies report a higher rate of serious adverse events for gastric bypass and sleeve surgeries.
The effectiveness of gastric balloon treatment and its safety depends mostly on the following factors:
- Doctor: the experience of the medical professionals performing the procedure. (Read about Dr. Haytham’s remarkable experience here)
- Balloon: the type of implanted gastric balloons. (We use European CE-marked gastric balloons, read more about it here).
- Patient: Involvement of the patient in the therapeutic process. The patient’s knowledge of obesity and their compliance with the treatment, including the use of prescribed medications, vitamins and other supplements, and the following of the recommended dietary and exercise regime.
- Body reaction: Clinical studies have linked the rate of gastric emptying with how successful the treatment can be. If you are the kind of person who would feel very full after eating a typical meal, then you feel hungry again shortly after, then you are an ideal candidate for balloon therapy.
- Motivation to achieve the therapeutic goal and maintaining the effects after the balloon is removed.
Losing weight in people who are overweight or obese has significant health benefits. Overweight and obesity are major risk factors for various cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, osteoarthritis, and some cancers, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). At Nordic Gastric Balloon, recipients of intragastric balloons have lost up to 50 kg from their original weight after 10 months. People with a body mass index (BMI) that is over 27 (calculate BMI) who seek to lose weight are encouraged to contact the clinic for a free consultation to check their medical eligibility for this procedure.